Saturday, March 04, 2006

Anser Birding Gloucestershire Diary for 4 March 2006

4 March 2006 I started my day at Tidenham Chase in glorious sunshire and located 26-28 Common Crossbill. At least 20 Siskin and a single Redpoll were also present. The 'bills' were stunning in the sunshire but were very jumpy, perhaps due to the large amount of vocal cavers milling around the site. I would recommend being very careful and quiet as soon as you get out of the car to increase your chances. Some fed in larches next to the car park. I then headed off to check out Aylburton Warth to see what the breeding wader situation may be this year. Unfortunately the site is very dry despite the high tides this week. A flock of 1000 gulls consisted of 70% Black-headed to Common. About 30 Teal, 60 Dunlin, 500 Curlew, 2 Oystercatcher, 300 Lapwing and 60 Golden Plover were present as well a single Little Egret and female Stonechat.

I spent the afternoon playing football at Uley and set an unwanted first record (the oldest player in the side) , despite a defeat to the top of the table team (3-6 result) which ended a five game unbeaten run with only one goal conceded, I have just about still got it. My plans were to go to CWP (Cotswold Water Park) afterwards but was put off by feeling groggy after a forearm across the face during the game. I had a message or two concerning the Lesser Scaup. It was back on Pit 16 plus the Red-necked Grebe had come back to the county Pit 57 after a visit to Wilts. That was it, I had to go. The Lesser Scaup was distant and once again I did not get to see it flap or fly to see the wing pattern, very frustrating. I gave up and went to see the grebe where a Barn Owl was hunting the causeway at the back and about 15 Ruddy Duck slept and a pair of Goosander were hauled out. I must admit that is easier to see the greyish feathering in sunshine last Saturday and when it is closer. The Lesser Scaup was in a shadowy bay and diving a lot when I moved around to South Cerney Village and of course the bird swam back around the peninsula and out of view. Not a bad day, lovely weather and nice get around the county. MJM.